Healthy Beef Ragu with Mint
A healthier version of Beef Ragu…with a twist! Fresh mint makes this dish a winner! This may seem like a large amount of sauce…but it is chunky and you can freee leftovers if you have any!
- 14 –16 ounces of Petite Pumpkin Pasta (may sub any short shapes with grooves to hold the sauce!)
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (I used extra lean), browned
- 2 28 oz. cans of Italian whole tomatoes, diced
- 2 large carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 2 celery stalk, chopped into small pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups packed fresh mint, chopped (+ more for garnish)
- 1/2 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. ground coriander
- 1/2 t. red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1–2 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Add meat to large sauce pan and spinkle with salt and pepper. Cook meat over med-high heat until browned and crumbled.
- Add carrots, celery, onion and cook for another 5-6 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add cumin, coriander, and red pepper flakes. Stir until combined.
- Add tomatoes and fresh mint and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, cook pasta per the label instructions. Drain.
- Add pasta to plates or bowls and top with sauce!
- Garnish with extra chopped fresh mint and Parmesan cheese.
The sauce is chunky and I find that different people like varying amounts of sauce on their pasta. I make large batch of sauce so we have plenty! You can freeze the extra and enjoy again later!